To enhance your clinical experience, we have selected several core topics in Emergency Medicine and the most seminal articles, relevant book chapters, up-to-date lectures, and/or interactive sites for each. Use these “pods” of information to enhance your patient management while on shift; to learn best practices in the modern practice of EM; and to prepare for the student didactic lectures and labs. They should be seen as a complement to your overall learning, and just the beginning for exploring the fascinating experience of managing acutely ill, undifferentiated patients.
- The CDEM (Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine) website has several self-study modules and detailed cases all targeted to student learning of core EM concepts and are included in the modules. They are quick reads and will greatly enhance your approach to patients with these common complaints.
MEDICAL STUDENT EM PODCASTS
*You are definitely not expected to listen to all of these, but it is worth trying out a few to see which format/style works for you.
- Core EM: This podcast discusses diagnoses that make up the bread and butter of EM. Their website also includes hundreds of articles, a few procedure videos, and a blog.
- EM Basic: Dr. Steve Carroll goes over student/intern level “approach to” core chief complaints.
- EM Clerkship: Dr. Zack Olson goes over student level content for EM topics. Check out the NBME EM Shelf Review episodes while studying for your end-of-clerkship EM shelf exam.
- EM:RAP: Emergency Medicine Reviews and Perspectives Check out their C3 (Continuous Core Content) series for reviews of how to approach and take care of patients with the most serious and common ED complaints. Complimentary subscription with EMRA membership
- EM Stud: The official CDEM podcast for emergency medicine bound medical students
Core Topics in EM:
This site under construction!