Congratulations on your selection of Emergency Medicine as a career, and thank you for your interest in our program! Browse this site to find more information about our residency, curriculum, current residents, faculty, hospitals and our city.
Prospective EM Residency Applicants: All applicants must apply through ERAS
- RESIDENT ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION: LSUHSC and the Section of Emergency Medicine ensures that eligible applicants are accepted on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. Our program does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. House Officer selection criteria must conform to the guidelines of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) General Requirements.
- We will not offer advice about an application that has not been submitted via ERAS.
- Outstanding applicants with previous training, DO degrees or non-traditional medical training will be considered.
- LSUHSC considers J1 Visa sponsorship only.
- We interview EM applicants on Thursdays and Fridays from December to early February.
- The deadline for application is December 1st each year. Applications received after that date will not be considered for that interview season.
Screening Process: All applications are screened by a Review Committee, composed of the program directors, faculty and chief residents. Interviews are by invitation only. Complete applications through ERAS must include:
- Application form
- Scanned photograph
- Dean’s letter
- 3 letters of recommendation (preferably from academic EM physicians)
- Official Medical School transcripts
- USMLE scores sent from the NBME
- Personal statement